The Port Elizabeth
In November 2002, a group of Fathers and Brothers from the Oudtshoorn Oratory moved to Port Elizabeth with the intention of establishing a new Oratory. They took up residence in the old Christian Renewal Centre (St Anne’s Convent) next to St Bernadette’s Parish in Walmer.
This new community took up various apostolic works and grew very quickly. In May 2008, the Holy See recognised them as an independent Congregation of the Oratory of St Philip Neri. Today, it consists of eleven priests and one novice who care for the following apostolates:
- St Bernadette’s Parish (including the Walmer Township apostolate)
- The St Philip Neri Collegium: a propaedeutic seminary preparing aspirant priests from disadvantaged areas for major seminary
- St Anne’s Pre-Primary: a Xhosa-medium pre-school and educare centre primarily educating learners from disadvantaged backgrounds and eligible for social grants
- Teaching at St Dominic’s Priory School
- Nazareth House Old Age Home and the Nazareth Sisters
- Other parishes under the care of the Oratorians include St Patricks, Sydenham; and St Joseph the Worker & St Rita’s, Bethelsdorp/Chatty.